This half term our theme is: In the Footsteps of Giants
We will be using the traditional story of ‘Jack and the Beanstalk ‘ as a starting point for our theme. Children will be learning about how our past shapes our today by learning about castles. We will be begin to understand what a castle is and the different parts of these buildings. When reading about castles and stories which include giants, children will be encouraged to see the importance of vocabulary (asking about unfamiliar words), inference (using clues given in what they read) and retrieval (using what is directly explained or stated in what they read). We will be introducing and learning about the life of William the conqueror and using his story to understand why castles are important. Castles will be used to develop our learning in Maths (sequencing the age of different castles) and different aspects of English.
PE and Forest Schools
- Year 1 children will have their PE sessions on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Children in Siskin and Linnet will be participating in Forest Schools on alternate Wednesdays. Children will not be required to come to school in their forest school clothes. Siskin will be participating in Forest Schools on: 10th January, 24th January, 7th February. Linnet will be participating in Forest Schools on: 17th January, 31st January, 21st February.
- Year 2 children will have their PE sessions on a Tuesday and Friday.
- Children in Dove and Goldfinch will be participating in Forest Schools on alternate Thursdays. Dove will be participating in Forest Schools on: 11th January, 25th January, 8th February. Goldfinch will be participating in Forest Schools on: 18th January, 1st February, 22nd February.
- Please can your children always have their correct PE kits in school, including jumpers and tracksuits.